View Single Post
Old 02-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Administrator

rivkah,

Coincidentally, I've given the refrigeration logic some thought recently and came up with a question for those who want to believe that the dietary laws ended with Yeshua. The next time someone tells me, "Times are different now. They didn't have refrigeration back then," I am going to say, "Wow. I didn't realize that Yeshua invented the refrigerator?!"

On a serious note, if there was one key to understanding that I would want to impart to my children (or anyone else), it is that this physical creation is a shadow of the spiritual realm. For example: light and darkness. Most would agree that light is a shadow/picture of good and darkness is a shadow/picture of evil. There are lots of scriptures that address the topic:
Quote:
[2 Cor 6:14 KJV] Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
You touched on the shadow/picture of spiritual food:
Quote:
[Deu 8:3 KJV] And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the L-RD doth man live.
Hashem's word (truth) is kosher spiritual food. Satan's words (lies) are unclean spiritual food.

Looking at the physical: Beans are vegetables and are good for food. Pork is unclean and unfit to consume. Pork and beans are common and unfit to eat. Why? Because the beans were defiled when mixed with the unclean pork.

It's usually very easy to identify unclean food: a big ham is unmistakable. So are many bold-faced lies (e.g. Santa Claus, the Easter bunny). It's relatively easy to pick out some common foods such as: pork and beans, shrimp stir fry, potato salad with bacon, etc. On the other hand, it can be tough. Can you tell by looking at a loaf of bread whether or not lard (pig fat) is an ingredient? What is common spiritual food? I believe it to be truth that has been defiled by false teachings . . . and, you know how hard it can be to determine whether or not a teaching has been tainted with falsehood.

So, Hashem wants us to "read the ingredient labels" very carefully. We have to diligently examine the word that comes to us and make sure that it is truth before consuming it (incorporating it into our belief system).

bon appetit
Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the [messiah] out of a pure heart. (II Tim 2:22)

hyssop