View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Peter's Vision (Part 2)

Some time after Yashua's resurrection and ascension, Peter had a vision:
Acts 10 KJV
[9] On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: [10] And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, [11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: [12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. [13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. [14] But Peter said, Not so, L-rd; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Please note that, up to this point, Peter had not eaten common or unclean food. So, it looks like Peter did not get the message that Yashua had supposedly declared all meats clean in Mark 7:19 (According to RSV and NAS versions). In fact, when told point-blank to "kill, and eat," this "future pope" and man of faith refused.
Acts 10 KJV
[15] And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What G-d hath cleansed, that call not thou common. [16] This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Peter did not refuse once or twice but, rather, three times! He never waivered. He would not break Yahweh's food laws that he was raised to observe. He knew that Yahweh was telling him something, but it was certainly not that it was now okay to eat pig.
Acts 10 KJV
[17] Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold . . . [19] While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee. [20] Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.
So, while Peter is wondering what Yahweh was trying to tell him, the Spirit told him to go with these Gentiles. Peter went with these men to Cornelius' (another Gentile) house. Cornelius, his family, and friends were waiting for Peter. Pay close attention to what took place:
Acts 10:28 KJV
[17] And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but G-d hath showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Does this verse explain how Peter's lack of faith prevented him from eating unclean food, as commanded in the vision? No. It explains the real meaning of the vision: "Peter. It may be Jewish law/tradition to refuse to associate with a Gentile, but I (Yahweh) am telling you not to call anyone who I have cleansed common or unclean."

Every person has to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling. But, when it comes to deciding whether or not scripture teaches that it is okay to ignore Leviticus 11, don't let anyone deceive you into believing that either of Peter's experiences were meant to make void Yahweh's food laws. I am confident that Peter never willfully ate any food that was common or unclean. Scripture clearly teaches that he observed this particular portion of Yahweh's Torah.
Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the [messiah] out of a pure heart. (II Tim 2:22)

hyssop