View Single Post
Old 04-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Matt,

Let me give you a quick overview of where I think your acquaintance's argument lies:

YHWH and Elohim are both nouns.

YHWH is translated L_rd, and Elohim is translated g_d (we won't go into the fact that g_d is in the plural form and should be literally translated g_ds).

Usually, when two nouns follow one another in Hebrew, there is an implied "of" between them. For example, in the last half of Gen. 1:2, there are two Hebrew nouns back-to-back. They are Ruach (spirit) and Elohim (g_d) -- translated into English "Ruach Elohim" becomes "spirit of G_d" or "G_d's spirit."

So, I believe that your guy is translating "YHWH Elohim" as "YHWH of G_d" or "G_d's YHWH." If that is the translation, then G_d has a YHWH. If YHWH represents the name of the eternal creator, the "father" of all creation, then g_d has a father. I'm not sure that there is concrete Hebraic proof that one cannot translate the two words this way. HOWEVER, there is one grammatical point that a person could make (hey, if we're going to split hairs, let's get splitting).

Hebrew rule:
When two nouns follow one another with an implied "of" between them, the first noun is written in the construct state. VERY OFTEN, the first word's consonants and/or vowels change their form slightly. VERY OFTEN, the first word looks exactly the same as it would if it were not in the construct state. However, to my knowledge, there are no nouns with an "AH" ending as in the voweled version of YHWH that do not change forms when written in the construct state.

For example, the word translated as bank in Gen 41:17 is Sahfah (Strong's 8193): h"p'v (Notice the "h"x" ending)
When bank is followed by river (Strong's 2975) to form "the bank of the river," it changes into the construct state: roa.y;h t;p.v
(Notice that the "h"x" ending changes into "t;x") Again, to my knowledge, this is always the case, but I would be interested to see if your guy can come up with, say, 3 different nouns that are exceptions to this rule in all of the Tanach--I think it would be pretty easy to find 100 that follow it.

That brings us to YHWH, or: h'woh.y
I can't tell you how "handy" it is that YHWH has the "AH" ending. That's because, if it should be translated "YHWH of g_d," then YHWH should be written in the construct state; it is not. The "h"x" ending was not changed into "t;x"

I hope this helps.
Pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the [messiah] out of a pure heart. (II Tim 2:22)

hyssop